Monday, March 11, 2013

Insert Pun Here

I'm tired of insomnia. Wocka wocka wocka!!

My husband? He can make the decision, "I should go to bed now," and do so. There he goes, and he's soon asleep.

My body? It takes that whole "second wind" thing entirely too seriously.
The scene: It's 8pm, my daughter has just gone to sleep, and Seth & I want to watch some TV.

Body: I am soooooooo tired! I could fall asleep right here on the couch!
Brain: No. It's way too early. You know that if we go to bed right now, you'll just be a bastard and treat it like a nap, and I'll be up in 3 or 4 hours.
Body: So, we're not going to bed?
Brain: Nope. Suck it up for a bit.
Body: Ooookay.

3.5 Hours Later:
Brain: Well, it's time to go to sleep now. This is a perfectly reasonable hour to go to bed. Let's do that, shall we?
Body: HAHAHAHA! I do what I want! We're staying up now!

Another 3.5 Hours Later:
Brain: Now? Can please go to bed now?
Body: Nope! You might have to pee again in a little bit, so we better just stay up all night. Why don't you start a movie?

I realize that central metaphor of my stunning drama has fallen apart because at some point, it is my brain keeping me awake, or at least part of my brain, while the rest of me desperately wants to sleep.

This has been going on, what, 8 years? More? I think I need to stop taking classes that don't get me home until midnight. Especially if we get a baby/toddler, I'll need to be partaking in that thing the kids call "sleeping at night."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After nearly coming to blows with our father to prevent him from bringing my crying toddler out to while away the night in a swing in front of the tv, I'm thinking our sleep problems just might stem from our childhood. They've said they never let any child cry it out, and I'm kind of wishing they had so I had learned how to sleep.

Robeena said...

I Didn't Know That They Did That. I Have No Idea Why These Are All capitalizEd. Whatever. But That Makes Sense.

Anonymous said...

I have to be falling down tired to get to sleep. After 3 hours, 4 if I'm lucky, I wake up and my brain is going on and on about every problem in my life. I'm surprised I'm still alive with the lack of sleep. I take propanalol (beta blocker) but not as effective as it used to be.