Monday, July 17, 2006

World Events

It feels like the world (even the earth itself) is just going crazy right now. The fires here, the Israel/Lebanon thing, everyday there is something new in Iraq. I'm really bumming.

I know, I know. It's all about me and my feelings. I've just been aware & overwhelmed by world events for the past week or two, and I feel so helpless. I see Al Gore talking about the environment, I watched Syriana and have all that in my head, I'm reading the headlines about the Middle East.

What do I do? I cry and I pray. I ask God to tell me what I can do. For some of the situations, all I can do is pray. And that isn't a little thing as some people would think- it's a lot. But as a compassionate human, I want to make a difference that I can see and know about. Perhaps that is an area where my faith can grow- knowing that praying is making a difference somehow. And listening for God's voice to show me what else to do.

Psalm 122:6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is a scary time. At least you are praying and you know that helps. I felt somewhat guilty after reading your blog because I feel somewhat desensitized toward the whole middle east situation right now. It's not that I don't care. I do. I've been watching CNN and it's awful but it hasn't made any impact. Maybe because of Afghanistan and now Iraq. (I keep thinking of John having to go and it makes me upset). Maybe because it seems like it has been going on forever--which it has really. Since the Isaac v. Ishmael feud began thousands of years ago. My father-in-law made a comment at breakfast last Saturday about not understanding why we (U.S.) are so sympathetic to Jerusalem all the time. He said we're always ready to defend them. I felt myself getting irritated and I retorted a little more forcefully than necessary, "I hope we always are!" He didn't understand so I gave a little biblical history lesson. It's surprising how some of what you and I take for granted as common knowledge because of our upbringing is news to others. I don't mean this arrogantly. I explained about the Jews being God's chosen people. My mother-in-law just came back two weeks ago from spending 10 days in the Holy Land and said it was truly amazing. I really need to go there some day. i hope that it is still as intact when I have money to go as it is today.