Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Ways in which I miss being a kid

 I was in the pool at the gym today for a few minutes, and I had a wonderful time.  I love swimming.  I love being in the water.  It has always been one of my favorite things in the world, but most days, if you were to ask me about swimming, I would say that it sucks.  That's because as an athlete, I've redefined "swimming" to mean "doing laps," which sucks big toes.  I'm not good at it, it's hard, and I hate it.  I had to do it when I was training for a triathlon, and I've barely been in the pool since, and that's sad. 

I love playing in the water, flipping around, maybe doing a little freestyle, but without goggles and with my hair streaming behind me or getting in my face. I don't know if I'll ever get over the fun of making the George Washington hairstyle, where you put all your hair in front of your face, and then fold it back to make a roll in front. I don't know why it's called George Washington, but that's what we called it in junior high. 

As I was in the pool, I remembered that I used to say that my favorite things in the world were swimming, dancing, and playing volleyball.  The only time I've really danced in the past, hmmm....10 years? has been at weddings. I used to love to go out dancing, but as I've gotten older, I've gotten more tired.  It's hard to stay up that late and go out, and I don't know of good places around here anyway.  Right now, I'm saying to myself, "You need to call Jenny & go out dancing soon," but it makes me tired just to think about it.

And volleyball? Sheesh.  As a general rule, most adults don't play volleyball.  It's just not around.  And when there is an opportunity, it's usually people who are Good and I am not Good Enough, at least in my own head, to play.  I'm too much of a perfectionist to relax and have fun.  And I don't want to make the serious players mad. 

My friends and I used to play wallyball fairly regularly in college, and that was ridiculous amounts of fun.  Sometimes we knew it was just for fun, depending on who came, and other times we got to be a little more serious and get some good exercise.  That was awesome.  I still have my kneepads somewhere.  Sliding is wonderful. 

Is there anything you miss doing?  Can/should we get together and just do them? If anyone is up for a not completely pointless, but no pressure volleyball game, please let me know.

1 comment:

Vanillish said...

I love your stuff about swimming.
I feel exactly the same!

There is something.. beautiful about being carefree in the water :)