Thursday, August 30, 2007

Celebrities are people, too.

I really do believe this. You may remember when I was saddened by the divorce of Reese & Ryan, and I felt maybe a little stupid about being so invested in them, but I'm here to defend myself! My theory: perhaps I'm a better person than you.

I kid. I just mean that while most people subconsciously tend to turn celebrities into commodities, I guess that I continue to hope that they'll behave like human beings with hearts, souls, and brains. So, when something happens to them, it does disappoint me. I don't want people to hurt- not that I'm saying you do- I'm just one of those heart on my sleeve sort of gals, something which has become more obvious to me of late, but I'll get to that another time.

Anyway, today's sadness is about Owen Wilson. Simply put, suicide breaks my heart and it makes me so sad that he tried to do it. As one who has attempted it, I know some of the thoughts and heart conditions that are probably there, and I don't want anyone to feel like that. I'm sad whenever I hear of anyone killing themselves, but I guess since we think that we know celebrities a little bit- at least a portion of their personalities, my mind tends to think, "No! But he seemed okay!" But what do I know?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I was taken by Reese when I saw her on Oprah perhaps a year ago. I really thought she was a "good girl" and had found a relationship that would work despite her being the bigger star, despite having kids.

--BEGIN RANT
So, their divorce, which I believe occured some months after, informed me that Hollywood is an industry that I'm not part of and that it trades in perception and belief. And I will always be truly deaf and blind to its people's morals. Is Reese a "good girl"? I don't know if she actually was. We believe that we are good readers of people, but then one of Hollywood's functions is to keep any messiness behind camera. It's all rather maddening if you are searching for the real story.
--END RANT--

I saw mention of Owen's suicide attempt the other day. I did think of your attempt and how frightened I felt for you. It's the sort of thing that while trying to be empathic you start to imagine a very dark and scary place that you immediately want to run away from. You just assume that a folksy, funny guy like Owen would be safe from that. Wrong again.

Robeena said...

I totally see your point, dear. I've often wondered how anyone could trust an actor- how can you know that any emotions you're receiving are real? And I believe that everyone there must be at least a little crazy and/or narcissistic- even the "good" ones.
Believing this, I would wonder, then, how on earth there aren't MORE breakdowns like Brittney's and suicide attempts. If their whole lives are wrapped up in falsehood and image- there is just no way to stay sane in that.